The West Bend Library is an Education Support Center
To better serve the educational community,
we offer the following resources and services to teachers.
Books – We can drop off a box of books to your class, which can be circulated to other teachers. For West Bend district schools, books can also be delivered and returned via the district van.
• Supplements to what you’re teaching.
• Multiple copies of a title. We share resources with over 50 libraries.
• “Report Support” – The library can create displays, with books, reference sources, magazines and AV material here at the library.
Tours – We invite and encourage classes to visit our library. Every effort will be made to accommodate each request. Librarians are not available for tours May-July. There are many different possibilities for tour activities. Please contact Hannah (see bottom of page) for more details.
Teacher Library Cards – Check out WBL materials to enhance your classroom. Principals have been sent an authorized borrowers contract. Each teacher library card is good for one school year only and must be updated each year. All teacher library cards are kept at the West Bend Library. Please see Emily Laws at the Circulation Desk for more details.
Librarian Visits – We are more than happy to visit your class. We can talk about programs, new books, searching the catalog, research techniques and EbscoHost or BadgerLink. If your students have their library cards, they can check out the books that I bring in right there or place holds. I’d love to attend your in-service meetings or your school open house, for the purpose of providing information about the West Bend Library or for discussion of cooperative efforts and services.
Reading Lists – Please feel free to submit any reading lists. Accelerated Reader, Advanced Placement, Battle of the Books, Summer Book Lists, etc. We will store them in binders available to your students and they will help us as we order books that can help supplement your curriculum.
Book Clubs – If you have a group who would like to start a book club, feel free to let us know! We can come up with suggestions and lead discussions upon request. We currently run a Banned Books Club for teens, which meets on the last Thursday of (almost) every month at 4:30. See this page for more information.
Teacher Resource Collection – Materials are available to aid in curriculum planning and educating of children. Also included in this area are such items as classroom activity ideas, science activity ideas, bulletin board ideas, homeschooling materials, and art project ideas for use by both parents and teachers. The collection is located on the second floor at the end of the Oversize Material Shelving.
• Searching for materials on the library catalog can be done online. Materials can be placed on hold from one of the 53 libraries in our consortium. Each library has its own due dates and fines. Teachers will be held to those policies. For information regarding teacher library card barcodes and PINs or instruction on placing holds, please contact Hannah.
• Charges for overdue and lost or damaged materials will be imposed at the time of return and at the same rate as they are charged to individuals. Invoices can be emailed if needed. According to the updated Authorized Borrower form sent to the principals, the school will be responsible for charges.
• There is a limit of THREE items that can be pulled from the shelf to be held when calling the library directly. Exact titles and authors are necessary for this service and it is subject to individual librarian availability. We are always happy to offer assistance and instruction on looking up materials in the catalog and locating them on the shelf.
• With a few days notice, you can email a list of specific titles and call numbers you’d like pulled to Hannah.
Please contact Hannah Kane regarding any of the above services, or if you have any questions. email@example.com